Wednesday, January 23, 2008

New Job

Literacy is a gift, a privilege even, that I take for granted.


What is more powerful than being able to express yourself?

And yet, maybe even that is wrong thinking...What thought is more powerful to a person who cannot read- that they will be able to be self-sufficient, independent, and empowered??
Or that they will be able to "express themselves"?  

Maybe it's the same.  Either way, what an incredibly powerful thing- Literacy.  
What a gift.

I read something tonight that nearly broke my heart.  Due to confidentiality issues, I am unsure of how much I can and cannot share here.  What I will say is that it made my heart ache in a way that it hasn't for a long time.   

This work is one of the most important things I have ever done.  
And work is not work when it is DEEPLY meaningful and is changing peoples' lives.

I am so grateful to have this opportunity.  Wow.


3 comments:

Deb said...

Rachy-Rach,
I am so glad that you have this opportunity and that you are letting it wash over you.

Keep us posted.

aurora bender said...

i know i keep saying this, but, dear friend, call me because i want to hear more.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you!
I love you to pieces!