Thursday, February 14, 2008

Just Breathe.

condemned from public space

i sing
in the words from another's mouth

raging guitar
and pulsing bass
are not enough to calm me
today

i gotta tighten down on the lag time

Survivors are part turtle
we are part potato bug
we know enough to go fetal
til its still up above-

cause you gotta crawl through the desert
between when you can hear it
and when you can play it with your hands,
just a rendezvous with
whoever you are 
when you finally understand

i gotta tighten down on the lag time.

can't sit still
can't bring myself to breathe the air
of this shared space-

studying stones
trying to learn to be less alive
i've cut all of the pertinent wires
so my eyes can't make their connection
i am holding my breath
feigning my death
when i'm looking in your direction

cause Numb is an old hat
old as my oldest memories
its a skill 
i'd hoped to abandon 
when i got out on the open road-

there's never been an endeavor
so strange
as trying to slow the blood in my veins
to keep my face blank
as a stone that just sank
until not a ripple remains.

and welcome to:
this year's Alone
brought to you 
by valentine's day

it's not ok
i'm trying to make it so
but it's not ok

welcome to:
something like elation
when you first open your eyes
cause it means
you must have finally
got to sleep
last night

and today
i just can't play along.

i paint my face with blacks
and browns
a mask to the world
and a notice to myself:
i am not going to cry.
i am not going to cry.
i am not going to cry.
i am not going to cry.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don’t cry my sweet friend. It sounds like you know what you must do; the only thing left is to do it. Simplify your life, and once again breathe the fresh air of a new beginning. Lag time is dead time you can’t grow in the dead zone. Be creative, and you’ll blossom like the first day of spring. Let the new day sun plant a kiss on your cheek, and warm your soul once again. Start each day with a smile as though the sun was shining deep inside you. Get rid of that social mask you find yourself hiding behind. Let the world see your sprit, show the world your lovely face. Introduce your new beginning and I promise you happiness will rush to be part of your life. Engage life don’t let it drag you around, take charge of your life. follow the light i know you can see it..........