Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Moment in A Woman's Life

Ok. I am going to be really real for a moment here.


I just entered the Library, where I am working. I am here early to meet my mom and print out a paper for my class. As I am approaching the front doors, heavy-laden with a book-bag, purse, and jacket, I notice a small group of boys hanging out by the cafe in front. At this time of day, with a jr. high right down the street, it is not uncommon for there to be large groups of pre-teens hanging out in and in front of the library. Not studying mind you, just hanging out.

As I am struggling to make it to the front door without dropping either my book bag or my purse, or both, this group of boys grows quiet. Quiet until one of them calls out, loud enough for the surrounding people to hear,

"Nice titties."

My heart dropped to my stomach. I'm thinking, you gotta be kidding me, right? I know a 12 year old boy did not just publicly disrespect me, a full grown woman. Not like that.
I felt that old familiar shame rising up from my belly, hot and cold at the same time. I could feel my face warm and my eyes, though covered in sunglasses, were glaring. I stopped and looked at these boys, and asked them straight out-

"Would you talk to your Sister that way?
Would you talk to your Mama like that?"

They stared and were silent, one boy protesting his innocence- obviously ashamed. I gathered my things and what was left of my somewhat shattered dignity and walked inside.

I had dressed up today, wearing a form-fitting yet classy shirt. A change from the "baggy-rags" i have been adorning myself with of late. It figures.

Seriously considering investing in some potato sacks.

4 comments:

aurora bender said...

i can sew you some nice burlap sack dresses.

i am sorry love, that you had to hear and experience that. and i am glad you said something.

Anonymous said...

The bigger picture is that by you speaking up that kid who felt the twinge of guilt will not do it again. Every boy, at some point in their life does this kind of thing, and hopefully at some point something within them begins to tell them it is wrong. Sometimes it needs to be our sisters and sometimes it will be our brothers who let us know. In either case we can become the change ourselves. In such a small moment of time, you may have changed the lives of many!

Anonymous said...

Speaking from a male point of view. your choice words were well spoken with your direct action I think I can say that those boys just received a lesson not only in self respect, but also how to respect woman. They might not have been in school, but were schooled just the same. They won’t forget that verbal spanking anytime soon. And just might carry that lesson the rest of their lifes. They learned something much more important than the ABC today. Good job friend I’m proud of you……….

Shannon said...

shannoncita says:

don't u dare cover up that gorgeous u that God created with potato sacks!

but at the same time, i can understand...i can definitely understand. love ya.