Friday, May 02, 2008

Thoughts on a Friday Afternoon.

It's funny looking back on who you have been in different periods of your life.
Who you were at that moment, and also the thread that you can trace back that allows you to recognize a little bit of who you are now, in the person you were then.

I look back at the people I was with at one time or another, and I can see myself attracted to different people for different reasons at different times...based upon what was growing in me. Based upon what new self-knowledge I was gaining. I would never be with any of those people now, because I have grown to know myself more, and can see the poor match.

I think marrying someone before you know yourself is the worst decision you can make. I worry for all these young religious folks, who are getting married younger and younger...and for what? What's the friggin' rush??

(Just a guess, but i think the "abstinence" principle might have something to do with it.)

I no longer understand the rush to bind your life to someone else's- for the rest of your life.
And I say this as someone who wants to have a Life Partner that I grow old with. Living life together and growing old together is a powerful kind of Intimacy that I look forward to creating with someone, over years and years of laughter, growth, trials, and ever-deepening love.

Just get to know yourself first, kids. That's all I'm saying.