Thursday, June 19, 2008

Why I Choose to Shave

- There is this invigorating energy rush to your head- a clarity of vision that comes. It feels like facing the world lighter, freer, and unobstructed.

- Men stop whistling, hooting, staring, drooling, and acting like you're not a sentient human being. In fact, the only attraction/attention I get from any man when shaven is deeply respectful, almost honoring.

- It makes me look at myself, hard. It helps me to see within myself where I am still buying into ridiculous, superficial ideas about beauty; the dynamics in my relationship to other women, men, and myself are illuminated in such a way that I can see unhealth where it lies.

- It feels good, dammit.




It's also a little like becoming a walking social experiment. It is such a trip to see how people respond to you. Good and bad.
It reveals so much about who they are and what is important to them.

Also, it is very empowering, especially this time around. I feel bold, full of strength and courage. A little fierce. (Necessary at times.)
I feel more my own than I ever have, Ever.
And, I feel Beautiful.




Love.

8 comments:

aurora bender said...

ja, it's funny people needed to mention that i had a shaved head, when i did, in fact cut my hair off. one teacher even stopped mid-sentence when she was lecturing to say, "wow, you cut your hair, it looks good." most people were surprised that i looked good with my hair gone. matthew often had to remind himself that it was supposed to be weird that i had a shaved head. i just picked the wrong month to do it. if it gets any warmer here, i might just loose my hair too.

some chick said...

oh!!! I had to read nicole's comment to realize that you were talking about your HEAD, not your armpits.

I'm growing mine out. Head and armpits. My head hair is the longest it's been since we moved to San Francisco.

aurora bender said...

i thought armpits too, but then i just talked to her yesterday and realized it's her head. i want to see pictures of the long hair.

some chick said...

well, "long" is relative. I can almost tuck it behind my ears.

aurora bender said...

hair that you can tuck behind the ears is long in my book.

Anonymous said...

today I saw your hair,
A hair of simplicity,
With a mysterious beauty,

Cruis'n

Trina Merry said...

You shaved your HEAD!?!
I so hope you saved me a dread so I can make Raquel clones to sing me to sleep at night! ;)
XOXO

Anonymous said...

Racquelita,
You are a beatiful woman inside and out and hair has nothing to do with anything...wait till it grays.
I love you to pieces.