Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Lessons

I struggle with the imbalance of justice and suffering in the world. So much pain and war.
A few weeks ago I was having a conversation about the "beautiful", the "ugly", and why sometimes loving one is easier than the other. In my life I have always found it easier to love the outcast, but I am learning to see with kingdom eyes. To see people clearly, and to understand the wounded places they are acting out of. As my dear one said, "It is all the same depravity, some are just able to hide it better."
Trying to apply kingdom eyes to the world.

In my Religions course we were discussing Hinduism within India. Hinduism holds the belief that a soul will continue to return to the earth, inhabiting different bodies, until the soul realizes its true Atman self (the divine that dwells within) and returns to Brahman (the divine without). Therefore Hindus, and much of Indian society, has a much more eternal view when it comes to time. (Which is probably a large part of the obstacles facing social change in India.) There is not an urgent sense of immediacy that we see in other societies.
This got me thinking....in what time do I view the world? My outrage and deep sorrow at injustice and human suffering--am I viewing this too with kingdom eyes? With eternity in mind? Change will most likely not come in my life time. Injustice will continue. The extremities of my emotions only bind me and keep me from being truly free to love, to serve, to see clearly, to heal, to be peace.

In the gathering I attended on Sunday, there was much talk of peace and the reconciliation of Creation to her Creator, reconciliation between the people of the earth. I was reminded that God claims vengeance for himself. ("Vengeance is mine, says the Lord." )
What a relief! I do not have to avenge the oppressed...God will judge, God will avenge, right all wrongs. Therefore I am free- free to love, to be the hands and feet of Jesus- bearing peace, love, abundant life.

Not to say that I will not be overwhelmed at times, by all the sorrow, all the pain. But instead of letting the pain that I absorb (for lack of a better word) turn into anger and frustration within me, I must give it to God. What does that look like? We'll see. I'm guessing a lot of loud praying, crying, running, pacing, getting to the beach for some humbling. Renewing, restoring, and resting in God's perfect love and infinite grace.

What a crazy adventure this is.

No comments: